Skip to toolbar

Edinburgh’s post-war listed buildings

SOME 68 post-war buildings in Edinburgh have been awarded a historic listing.

As of March 17, when the data was last compiled by listings managers at Historic Environment Scotland, 18 buildings were ‘Category A’ (the highest listing standard), 35 Category B and 15 Category C.

In 2011, Historic Environment Scotland’s Dawn McDowell co-authored a summary of post-war listed buildings in the capital.

She and fellow co-author, Jack Gillon, from The City of Edinburgh Council, wrote: “There is a growing interest in buildings of the post-war period – through both advocacy and opposition.

“Post-war architecture is often associated with the perceived failure of high-rise housing projects and bland shopping centres. The idea of giving statutory protection to buildings built after 1945 is often a contentious issue as they do not have the merit of age and frequently do not have an aesthetic value that is immediately obvious.

“However, the post-war years have produced many buildings of architectural quality.

“The protection and conservation of post-war buildings can return a heritage dividend, by giving new life to redundant buildings, establishing a sense of place, and attracting investment and support for regeneration.

“There is a risk that many of these buildings may be lost before a longer timeframe allows their true value to be appreciated.”

The various category listings are described (here) by HES, thus:

Category A: Buildings of special architectural or historical interest which are outstanding examples of a particular period, style or building type.

Category B: Buildings of special architectural or historic interest which are major examples of a particular period, style or building type.

Category C: Buildings of special architectural or historic interest which are representative examples of a period, style or building type.

The HES list is, as follows:

2, 2A and 3 Queen Street, 12 North St David Street, Scottish Life – Reiach, Hall & Partners  – 1969 replica – Category C

National Library of Scotland, George IV Bridge – Reginald Fairlie – Opened 1956 – Category B

191 and 193 Canongate – Robert Hurd – 1958 – Category C

82 and 84 Canongate (Niasbet of Dirleton’s House) – Robert Hurd rebuild – 1954 – Category B

98-102 West Bow – T Waller Marwick (replica externally) – 1964-68 – Category B

242-244 Canongate (Chessel’s Court N Block) – Robert Hurd & Partners (free version of 1769 original) – 1963-64 – Category A

Adam House, 5 and 6 Chambers Street, Edinburgh – William Kininmonth of Rowand Anderson Kininmonth & Paul – 1954 – Category B

HMSO, Sighthill – Stewart Sim – 1951 – Category A

Music School, George Watson’s 1962 – Michael Laird – 1962 – Category B

40 and 42 George Street – Cunningham Glass Partnership – 1983 – Category C

114 and 116 George Street – Hugh Martin Partnership – 1992 – Category C

The New Club, 84-87 Princes Street – Alan Reiach – 1966 – Category A

Scottish Widows, 9-10 St Andrew Square – Basil Spence, Glover and Ferguson – 1962 – Category A

10 and 12 Young Street, Sovereign House – Alan Reiach, Eric Hall and partners – 1970 – Category C

Royal Commonwealth Pool, Dalkeith Road – John Richards of RMJM – 1967 – Category A

Mortonhall Crematorium, Howdenhall Road – Basil Spence, Glover and Ferguson – 1964 – Category A

7 and 8 Fishmarket Square, Newhaven – Ian Lindsay & Partners – circa 1970 – Category C

2 Great Michael Rise and 29-33 Annfield, Newhaven – Basil Spence – 1957 – Category B

4-12 Great Michael Rise, Newhaven – Basil Spence – 1957 – Category B

14-20 Great Michael Rise, Newhaven – Basil Spence – 1957 – Category B

16-20 Main Street, Newhaven – Ian Lindsay & Partners – circa 1970 – Category C

24-38 Main Street, Newhaven – Ian Lindsay & Partners – circa 1970 – Category C

1-19 New Lane, Newhaven – Basil Spence – 1957 – Category B

2-16 New Lane, Newhaven – Basil Spence – 1957 – Category B

32 Charterhall Road – Morris & Steedman – 1962, ext 1970 – Category B

Telephone Exchange, 116 Fountainbridge – Stewart Sim – 1948-52 – Category B

1-16 Salvesen Crescent – SSHA  – circa 1951 – Category B

GEC Marconi Avionics Radar Laboratory, Crewe Toll – Douglas Bamber – 1954 – Category B

The Old Kirk of Edinburgh, Pilton – Stanley Ross-Smith of Gordon & Dey – 1951 – Category C

65-67 Ravelston Dykes – Morris & Steedman – 1961-64 – Category B

St Andrew’s Church (Church of Scotland) including belltower, boundary walls and steps, 17-19 (odd nos.) Clermiston View – Basil Spence & Ferguson – 1953 – Category C

Forth Road Bridge – Mott, Hay & Anderson, engineers: Freeman Fox & Partners: Sir Giles Gilbert Scott, Consultant  – 1958-64 – Category A

West Princes Street Gardens, Royal Scots Memorial – Frank Mears and Partners and C d’Orville Pilkington Jackson  – 1950 – Category B

West Princes Street Gardens, Shelters – n/a, Edinburgh Corporation? – circa 1950 – Category B

West Princes Street Gardens, Robert Louis Stevenson Memorial – Ian Hamilton Finlay – 1999 – Category A

The Robin Chapel, Thistle Foundation – John F Matthew, Glass, Sadie McLellan – 1949-52 – Category A

Thistle Foundation – Stuart Matthew of Lorimer & Matthew – 1946-50 – Category B

Craigsbank Church – Sir William Kininmonth, of RAKP – 1964-66 – Category A

Morocco Land Redevelopment, 249-263 Canongate and 43 New Street – Robert Hurd, with Ian Begg Project Arch – 1956-57 – Category B

Greenhouse, Royal Botanic Gardens – GAH Pearce, Ministry of Public Works – 1967 – Category A

10A Greenhill Park – Alexander Esme Gordon – 1968 – Category B

Scotstoun House, South Queensferry – Peter Foggo, and Ove Arup Eng – 1965 – Category B

Pollock Halls of Residence (Phases I and II), Dalkeith Road, University of Edinburgh – Rowand Anderson Kininmonth & Paul – 1956-64 – Category A

Adam Ferguson Building (BlockD), GeorgeSquare, University of Edinburgh – RMJM – 1965-67 – Category B

David Hume Tower and Lecture Block (blocks A and B), George Square, University of Edinburgh – RMJM – 1960-63 – Category A

George Square Theatre EU (block E), George Square, University of Edinburgh – RMJM – 1965-70 – Category A 

Main Library, George Square, University of Edinburgh – Spence Glover & Ferguson – 1965-67 – Category A

William Robertson Building EU (block C), George Square, University of Edinburgh – RMJM – 1965-70 – Category B

Scottish Widows HQ, 15 Dalkeith Road – Basil Spence Glover & Ferguson – 1972-76 – Category A

Avisfield, 12 Cramond Road North – Morris & Steedman – 1955-57 and 1964 – Category B

Clapperfield, 1 Clapperfield Lane – Stuart Renton (Reiach & Hall) – 1959 – Category B

Waverley Telephone Exchange,12 East London Street – R Saddler – 1964 – Category B

65-71 (odd) and 97-103 Canongate including 1-3 Brown’s Close – Basil Spence, Glover and Ferguson – 1961-69 – Category B

64 Princes Street (British Home Stores) – RMJM – 1964-68 – Category

B Hudson Beare Lecture Theatre, Kings Buildings – Robert Gardner Medwin – 1961 – Category B

St Andrews Parish Church, 42 Pennywell Gardens, Muirhouse – Harry Taylor – 1962-65 – Category C

1-63 Claremont Court – Basil Spence & Partners – 1959-62 – Category C

7 and 9 Laverockbank Avenue and 13-17 Laverockbank Crescent – Basil Spence & Partners – 1957-60 – Category B

Millbuies House, dovecot and compost shelter – Robert Matthew of RMJM & Partners, James Law – Dunbar Naismith, project architect – 1955-60, 1961 Compost shelter and dovecot – Category B

223 Oxgangs Road North, Colinton Mains Parish Church – Ian G Lindsay and Partners – 1952-54 – Category B

St Nicholas Parish Church (Church of Scotland), 124 Sighthill Loan 517-519 Calder Road, Wester Hailes Road – Ross, Doak and Whitelaw – 1955-57 – Category B

Murchison House, King’s Buildings, West Mains Road – Allan Pendreigh, Property Services Industry – 1971-77 – Category B

Dalhousie Land, University of Edinburgh,15 John Street – Esme Gordon and Gordon Dey – 1960-63 – Category C

Longstone Primary School, including boundary walls, gates and railings and excluding linking canopy to Redhall School, 3A Redhall Grove, Edinburgh – G Reid and J Smith Forbes – 1954-57 – Category C

Anti-aircraft operations room, including radio transmission mast, Craigiehall, South Queensferry – n/a – 1953-54 – Category B

Cables Wynd House, excluding ancillary brick walls and lower level car parking block to southeast, Cables Wynd, Leith – Alison & Hutchison & Partners – 1963-65 – Category A

Lothian Regional Bus Depot, Murrayburn Road – T Bowhill Gibson – 1955 – Category C

Linksview House, Tolbooth Wynd and Kirkgate, Leith – Alison & Hutchison & Partners – 1964-67 – Category A

Castle Terrace Car Park, including external concrete steps and painted steel railings, Castle Terrace and King’s Stables Road – Designed and built between 1959 and 1966 by Edinburgh’s City Engineers, Kinnear & Gordon (consulting engineers) and T. Waller Marwick & Associates (consulting architects), it was commissioned by the Edinburgh Corporation – 1959-1966 – Category B

Image: Scottish Widows HQ, 15 Dalkeith Road – Basil Spence Glover & Ferguson – 1972-76 – Category A

Related Articles

X